Mr. Moe,
Welcome to the OCF. Sorry to meet under these circumstances. First, try not to dwell on the statistics. They are just that, statistics,and they don't mean a thing to the individual patient facing this disease.

Next, to answer your question about where to start. Go to the bottom of this page and click on the link to the Oral Cancer Foundation homepage, get comfortable, and start reading.
This site will provide you with hundreds of pages of information.

I'd start with the Oral Cancer facts, and work my way through diagnosis and treatment sections. I would also encourage you to take notes about things you want to ask your doctors about. The more you know, the more you can participate in your treatment.
Encourage family members to read too. There will be times during this journey where you will be too tired or too distracted to act as your own advocate and it is extremely helpful to have someone to act as your advocate.
You are extremely fortunate to be in close proximity to a top level Comprehensive Cancer Center. MSK is one of the top rated centers in the country.
As you can see from my signature line, I too was diagnosed at Stage IV, and yet here I am 2 1/2 years after completing treatment, training for a fall marathon! Not everyone is going to recover to run marathons, but the attitude I have taken is " Why not me?".
Come back to the forum often. Keyword searches can help you to find previous discussions on subjects you have questions about, or just post your question. Someone will have been there and done that. The real beauty of the forum is that the participants here have been just where you are right now, and have travelled the path you are about to travel.
Keep us up to date on how your treatments are going.

Good Health,

Chuck

SCC Stage IV right tonsil T3N3M0. Dx 08/03. Clinical Trial:8 weeks Taxol, Carboplatin then Hydrea, 5FU, IMRT x's 48, SND, Iressa x 2yrs. Now 20 years out and thriving. Dealing with a Prostate cancer diagnosis now. Add a Bladder cancer diagnosis to all the fun.
It's always something
"Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."