Hi H,

Sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. I too, had a scc on my tongue and it was Stage I with no lymph node involvement and no metastasis. As you can see below, I had only surgery.

The first thing that everyone here will tell you is to try to have your mom treated at a comprehensive cancer center (CCC). If this is not possible, there are ways to have her situation evaluated at one, without actually going there. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but others here have done this. Second opinions never hurt.

Some of us here had surgery only and some had radiation and/or chemo, too. Some had radiation and chemo and no surgery. There is no set protocol for every situation.

Her treatment plan could differ from facility to facility and will also depend on whether there is lymph node involvement and/or metastisis. Just calling it Stage II without other details is not enough information.

Good luck to you and your mom and keep checking back here as often as you can. Keep posting additional information as you get it and you will have a wealth of information given to you. Also, you should use the search engine at the top of the forum page and the main search engine on the home page.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"