Wow, so many responses, you sure know how to make a person feel welcome. Thank you Danny, Jerry, and Curtis. thank you all.

Danny, I don't know what stage I am, but the tumor measured 3.5 centimeters and we aren't sure about the lymph nodes. I assume the surgery will answer that question. The Doc says I might not have to have radiation - fingers crossed.

Jerry, the sponge on a stick sounds like a really good idea. Or maybe some of those finger sponges. I think I'll buy some to carry with me to the hospital. I always thought it would be nice if we had some sort of plaque dissolving rinse. Swish and all clean. But then, if it's strong enough to dissolve plaque it would probably dissolve your teeth! No no, not so good. LOL!

Curtis, I'm relieved to hear that breathing treatments through the trach won't be a problem. I really depend on my Combivent especially when I wake during the night feeling breathless. Hopefully the swelling will go down quickly and I will then be rid of the trach. As for the feeding tube through the nose, well, I'll just have to put up with it although it will be hard not to want to just yank it out! My mother-in-law did just that and they sedated her and put her under restraints! Scary. So, I'll be good and maybe I won't have it for very long.

Again, thank you all for your kind words and best wishes.
Helen