Brian, thanks for the comforting words. Yes, we'll keep an eye out from now until forever.

You mentioned two ways to excise a leukoplakia -- laser and blade. Is there a proven advantage to one method over the other, or is it dependent on the leukoplakia's location, the surgeon's preference or other factors?

Sheldon, I gather that he was referred to an ENT for complete removal because of the location. I happened to see my dentist yesterday (a different one from my husband's but equally observant -- and she refers patients to the same oral surgeon my husband saw), and she said that while the oral surgeon will frequently remove the leukoplakia, if it's in a tricky place he'll do the biopsy and then send a patient to an ENT.

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.