My name is Edgar I'm a 42 y/o male living in Miami Florida. I first noticed a small lump in the mid neck area on the left side last November.

I had a fine needle biopsy done on February 2, 2006 which resulted in the diagnosis of squamous cell carcinoma with an unknown primary.
Upon the result of the CT scan my doctor recommended surgery followed by radiation and chemo which I am starting tomorrow at the Sylvester Cancer Center. He evaluated the tumor to be an advanced stage type IVa N1 M0 which means it is metastatic, has spread to one or several lymph nodes and has not spread to any other organs.

My surgery was scheduled three weeks ago but when I woke up the lump was still there. My doctor told me there were to many organs involved and that he decided not to remove the metastizing lymph nodes. He had biopsied the tonsil and back tongue area and found the primary site in the left tonsil. He suggested radiochemotherapy and suggested I start treatment ASAP.

In my first appointment with an oncologist I was given two types of treatment options: a standard consisting of seven weeks of radiation plus chemo in the way of cisplatin once every two weeks and a trial treatment which they also name protocol, which consists of seventeen weeks of treatment starting with chemo (cisplatin + Erbitux) once a week for seven weeks followed by ten weeks of radiation twice a day. I declined the protocol and chose the standard. More or less is has the same percentages with the protocol taken an advantage over recurring cancer.
Was it the right choice? has anyone here gone through the protocol treatment?
I also met with the radiologist who also gave me two option plans: conventional radiation and IMRT. This last one provides more coverage of the submandibular area and thus may spare the salivary glands where as the conventional definately will not spare them. I had to wait two weeks for this treatment option due to the fact you have two simulations before you start treatment.

Anyhow tomorrow is the start of my plan and I have high expectations and an optimistic regard of the outcome.

I wish all of you here (either patients or caregivers) who are going through the same situation to be well and that you are able to withstand the tenacity of these drugs and therapies. My prayers are with you, may God bless you all.
Edgar

Edgar