Gary
My father is just a few weeks ahead of you. He had his neck dissection on Feb. 10th. Cancer was in lymph nodes but with my father they were unable to find the primary tumor. They also removed both of his tonsils during surgery. He began rad/chemo treatments in March and we are due to finish 2nd week of May. JoAnne speaks to most of the same issues we have faced. My father is taking Erbitux so his chemo has not been as bad as some of the others on the forum. He is also tolerating the Amifostine shots well by taking compazine every day prior to his shot. The only side effect he has suffered from Erbitux is the acne rash and it was pretty bad but after the first few weeks the MO treated it with antibiotics and it is much better now. The first dose of Erbitux for my father was administered one week prior to beginning radiation treatments. This dose was a double dose. He will have a total of 8 weekly doses of Erbitux. Only the first one was double the rest have been single doses. This treatment is very doable Gary, tough but doable. I would be happy to share any specific details of my Father's treatment so please feel free to ask. This forum and website have been invaluable to me during our experience. I would be happy to return the favor.

Caregiver to Father:Stage III unknown primary; modified left side neck dissection 2/2006; 8 wk trmts of Erbitux 3/2006 with-37 radition treatments; 11.2010; biopsy of base of tongue results questionable. 9.2013 tumor on left side of tongue; squamous cell cancer. 10.2.2013 Hemiglossectomy(1/2 tongue removed) with reconstruct tongue using left thigh tissue;surgery included IORT.
25 additional IMRT radiation trtmts & 5 wks/chemo. Carbo & Taxol combo.NPO;100% PEG depend;aspiration pneumonia 3/2014