I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in 2015..HPV related.
My experience with radiation treatments was horrendous...
I have chronic claustrophobia...and always require taking lorazapam prior to tests..this includes MRI's..cat scans. etc.,
Prior to treatments...my oncologist talked to me about being measured for the radiation mask..at first l didn't understand what he was talking about. ???
Apparently..not only would l be going through the horrors of radiation..l then find out that l will be required to wear a close fitting plastic mask..and that l would be securely locked to the board l would be lying on for the radiation treatments wearing the mask.
I don't just have claustrophobia...l also absolutely freak out when confined ...and during radiation treatments it is imperative that you must be absolutely still...confined in other words..
This is to enable them to pin point the exact spot that needs radiated.
After the radiation treatments, l vowed that l would not put myself through that brutality again...although l doubt my type of cancer would allow another regimen of radiation & chemo.
My side effects still linger after 7 years...and are life changing..insomnia..facial numbness..loss of teeth..lack of saliva..difficulty swallowing...low energy..hearing loss..well..the list is long..
However..l am still here to tell the tale..so for that..l am grateful..
Sorry to be so negative...but l want to be honest..and not sugar coat my ordeal with radiation..
Chemo on the other hand was no problem for me..side effects were low energy and nausea.

Good luck. !!

Last edited by exiledbrit; 06-30-2022 07:44 AM. Reason: Second thoughts.

KITTY CAT.