Hello Boland,
Sorry that you are having this to deal with this. When I faced this demon my wife and I had 3 young children. It was more a blessing for me to have the distraction of raising children while going through the rigors of treatment. They are now 21 years older and have grown up well. Being a "wreck inside" is something we are mostly all familiar with. Working on that is harder than going in for any treatments-but you can. Distraction, calming your mind and stop trying to look at a future you can't know or see. Living one day at a time and each day with meaning.

Now on to thoughts about your treatment. The behavior of squamous cell carcinoma (assuming that is the "carcinoma" you mention) is such that you do not ever want to let your guard down. The stories of it "recurring" are legendary. (frankly I consider it to be evil). "Recurring" as a term for this cancer, is almost complete BS. IMHO, a recurrence is most likely an incomplete treatment. i.e. the excision didn't have clear margins. This is not to scare you though, because I think you are in a pretty good spot right now.

However, a word or two about doctoring and doctors. You have to have complete confidence in them, the treatments they offer and their perspective. From what you wrote I don't get the sense that you have that. You didn't mention where you are receiving treatment but where can make a difference. If possible, traveling to a facility with more experience for another opinion is worth the effort even if the treatment recommendation is ultimately the same. I think you are wise to have concerns, not to have more fear but because with that energy you can muster action and diligence. You can and should have optimism at the same time.

Keep in touch and ask questions any time.

(I'm not a doctor and this isn't medical advice-it is my opinion.)

PS: Rock On Zeppelin!

Last edited by Mark; 06-08-2022 04:37 AM. Reason: typo

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.