Hi Erin,

healing from a neck dissection takes time. I had mine almost a year ago and I’m still healing. It took me almost 2 months of physical therapy to be able to turn my head or to look up just a little. Today, I would say I have 95% flexibility back so don’t think what you are feeling now is what will be. I didn’t have a crooked smile but the side of my mouth (the side I had the dissection) would randomly turn down and freak out my friends for months after surgery but now it doesn’t do that anymore. What I’m trying to say is that 3 weeks after a neck dissection is the equivalent of 3 days after other surgeries. It takes time, patience and a lot of physical therapy to get close to how it was before. I recommend you get in contact with a physical therapist. Mine noticed “problems” I didn’t and helped me correct them before they could bother me too much.

The same thing goes for the emotional healing. It takes time but you will heal. I had a counselor at the hospital that was amazing. She helped me take control of negative thoughts and to stop them from spiralling out of control and to put things into perspective. I know not everyone is comfortable with the idea of talking to counsellors or therapists but it’s something to consider.

Stage 2, T2N0M0 (lateral border of tongue)
29 years old when diagnosed (diagnosed with lichen planus at 27)

July 2017: diagnosed
8 aug 2017: partial glossectomy
24 aug 2017: another partial glossectomy + neck dissection (27 nodes removed)
3 oct 2017: rads start (the first of 25)
14-17 nov 2017: PDR brachytherapy boost