I have surgery tomorrow morning to remove a stage 1 cancer in the side of my tongue, and some lymph nodes. I'm told that radiation to follow is a maybe, and chemo is unlikely. I would welcome any tips to prepare. Here's what I've done so far.

I picked up a 16-pack of Boost Plus. I've no idea how long I might wish to avoid solid food, but that will get me started anyway for now. If I need Boost VHC, I will have to order that. I also have a big canister of whey protein, and grass fed beef gelatin. Maybe I should get some hydrated collagen also? I'm teaching my husband how to make gelatin boosted beef broth, and to beat an egg into it without it curdling. He loves to cook and is sure he can puree most anything LOL!

I have Juven equivalent to support healing, in the form of bulk purchased powders of the amino acids l-glutamine, l-arganine, and HMB, and a tiny digital scale. I've put together many servings of the powders in little lidded condiment cups, to add to beverages. Costs about 1/3 of what Juven costs.

I started high fluoride toothpaste prescribed by my dentist. Also picked up a sinus irrigation kit because I'd imagine wide open sinuses would be highly desirable when my mouth is really messed up. I'm wondering if a Waterpik would be helpful at this time, or should i wait to see if I must have radiation?

What else should i have on the shopping list, and what can I do to prepare myself?

Kathy