I had a PEG tube during my treatment. I had it put in before we started, due to doctors' recommendations, and the fact that I was fairly thin to begin with and struggle with nutrition at times (anxiety issues, which would of course be made worse through cancer and treatment!). It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You can't be super active while you have one, for fear of jostling it out of position, but usually if you need one, you're not well enough to be super active anyway. (In other words, lots of TV and no tae kwon do for me. And sleeping propped up so I wouldn't mess up the tube.) And the removal was easy-peasy too. Compared to everything else, it turned out not to be as big a deal as I thought it would be. It took a while to find formula that didn't irritate my tummy, but ... that's an issue for me with a lot of things ... not so much for most folks. I'm totally wimpy when it comes to this kind of thing, and if I had to go through this treatment again, I probably would go ahead and do the tube again. Obviously, only you and your dad and his doctors can make the decision what's right for him ... but if he needs reassurances ... it's truly not so scary once you get used to having it. And when you are better, the removal really is pretty quick. I want to say it was done in the office on a regular visit, but my memory is hazy enough that I can't swear by that.

((hugs))

Surgery 5/31/13
Tongue lesion, right side
SCC, HPV+, poorly differentiated
T1N0 based on biopsy and scan
Selective neck dissection 8/27/13, clear nodes
12/2/13 follow-up with concerns
12/3/13 biopsy, surgery, cancer returned
1/8/14 Port installed
PEG installed
Chemo and rads
2/14/14 halfway through carboplatin/taxotere and rads