I just completed my 28th rad treatment, and have 5 to go, after three days off for Memorial Day Weekend.
I also have 1 more of my 7 weekly Cisplatin infusions left.
My throat is really starting to hurt when I swallow, and the mucous is really thick and sticking to my throat when lying down.
I was only taking 200mg Ibuprofen, a few times a day so far to help with eating and drinking.
I thought that I would need a step up in medication to get through the last treatments and recovery, so I discussed various prescribed alternatives with my pain management physician from the Cancer Center.
We narrowed it down to a 12.5mcg/hr Fentanyl patch.
I wouid like to try to stay off of a feeding tube after going this far without one.
So, some questions, for anyone who has had Fentanyl patch experience.
1) I read that usually, the patch is a conversion from oral opioids. I have taken Oxycodone just for a day or two, a few months ago after a surgery. It didn't seem to do anything, so I stopped using it for OTC medications.
So I assume that I am opioid tolerant, I didn't have any negative effects from it.
Has anyone gone straight to the low dose 12.5mcg/hr Fentanyl, without having been on an oral opioid at the time of the initial patch application?
2) Has anyone had any respiratory issues when using the patch? If so, what is the treatment for that?
3) Does anyone have any other observations based on their own Fentanyl patch experiences that I may find useful?
I know all meds seem to have scary disclaimers, as we see daily on TV commercials, but the Fentanyl patch disclaimers seem especially so.

Enlarged left cervical lymph node in neck on 1/9/18. Male, age 60. Had retired from working as a computer technician and a project manager for almost 38 years, on 7/1/17.
Node was removed 1/16/18 and found to have SCC P16.
Chest xray clean.
Since then, PET/CT, slight activity left parotid, possible malignancy left lingual tonsil. MRI clean.
3 endoscopies, nothing seen.
2/26/18 Larryngoscopy,primary not found.
TORS 3/23/18 lingual tonsil biopsy.,biopsy negative.
Chemo/rads started 4/18/18.