Hi everyone,
I had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove tumor on right side of my tongue. I also had neck dissection. I am T1N0. No aggressive features (nerve or vascular invasion). Margins are clear so this all the treatment that is needed now. This was missed by 2 dentists and an ENT because I did not fit the risk profile. I am a non smoker non drinker and HPV negative. I was told it was oral lichen planus. I found an expert in OLP and was immediately sent for a biopsy. Opportunities were missed to be biopsied and treated earlier. The lesion was there for about 9 months.

I visited two universities for treatment options. I was told I am not alone. There is a significant increase in women under 50 non smoker non drinker HPV negative that are developing oral SCC. This makes me think something environmental is contributing to the increase. I have lived on my cell phone next to the right side of my head for years for work and personal calls.

For those of you HPV negative and NS ND, did you use a cell phone often next to your head? I am sure it is not the sole factor or this would be an epidemic. But the uptick in this age group and wondering what we all have in common brings the cell phone to mind.

I have made a few changes like using the phone on speaker and not keeping it on me at all times. Just curious about what others in the same boat think about the cell.

Marya
April 2018 T1N0 Non smoker, non drinker, HPV negative, surgery

Mary