When the surgeon came by early in the morning for rounds I asked about when speech/swallowing therapy should start, and he said when David isn't using the high flow concentrator and is comfortable using the Passy Muir valve. David is having such a horrible time with dryness and was having a bad time with thick, excessive secretions and wasn't getting any relief with the cool mist from the little hood that sits over the trach tube opening. So, RT got him the high flow.

I'll ask about home nurse visits and/or possibly an RT checking back in. An RT delivered a compressor, suction machine and supplies to our house earlier today and showed me how to use the machines. I'm hoping and betting on breathing issues resolving themselves once David's home so he should be fine switching back to the cool mist. The air quality in the hospital is the WORST - it's VEEERRRY dry. I've had issues with it myself staying at the hospital with my husband and even the surgeon admitted it's something they (the docs) deal with when on call and have to be in the hospital long periods of time.

Wife/caregiver to David, age 54
Dx SCC of tongue 9/28/12, stage T4aN1M0
Tx cisplatin weekly x5 beg 11/21/12 tomotherapy radiation x35 beg 11/29/12, end chemo 12/24/12, end rad. 1/18/13
3/1/13 PET and CT NED
Adjunctive carbotplatin + taxotere x3 June/July 2013
Dx recurrence 6/8/2017
Tx Keytruda July 2017 - Feb 2018
Total glossectomy w/thigh free flap + selective neck dissection 4/12/18
quit smoking 31 yrs ago