Hello Friends!
As you can see from my signature, I was originally diagnosed over seven years ago with SCC of the upper gum. I have had three recurrences and may be facing my fourth. I had my recent check-up with the surgeon and there is an area where I've had surgery and radiation which has some ulcers which are not healing. They've been painful for awhile, but we thought it was related to the oral prosthesis I wear to replace the portion of the upper jaw which has been removed. The surgeon is concerned that it might be a recurrence and wants me to return in 6 weeks for a possible biopsy. In the meantime, I'm supposed to leave the prosthesis out as much as possible to see if the healing improves.
As all of us who have had radiation know, it is difficult for radiated tissue to heal, so even the biopsy could cause a spot which has difficulty healing. I will be discussing all my options with the surgeon in six weeks, but I would like to hear from some of you who have had procedures after radiation, what types of problems you experienced in the healing process. Also, what types of non-surgical options have you all undergone? I am very healthy otherwise and lead a full life, but further treatment and it's ramifications could do much to change that.
I've read that being HPV negative as well as a non-smoker, gives me a worse long-term prognosis, in some respects. If this is another recurrence, I would like to make decisions concerning my treatment options based on the quality of life moving forward. Emotionally, I am fine as I have a strong faith and I am blessed with a loving and supportive family. So I am prayerfully weighing all options (including refusing further treatment) if that appears to be the best option. Thank you for your input as I value the experiences and wisdom you all have gained on this journey.

Teacher Karen
DX: SCC of right maxillary alveolar ridge, 9/2010.
Surgery 11/2010, removal of 4 teeth and gum.
Surgery 11/2012, removal of 3 teeth and gum.
IMRT 1/2013-2/2013
Surgery 1/2015 retromolar trigone resection; removal of 1 tooth and gum.
Surgery 10/2015 left modified radical neck dissection, inferior parotidectomy, external carotid artery resection.
Cetuximab based chemoradiation 64.8 Gy to resection bed.
Surgery 6/19/2018 Right inferior maxillectomy, bilateral low palate resection