I have seen my head/neck surgeon at the Hopkins CCC and I now have some idea of what my treatment will be. My left mandible will be removed from my chin to my earlobe. Some floor as well but no tongue surgery as of now. All the lymph nodes on the left side of my neck will be removed. My left mandible will be reconstructed from bone in my leg. The surgeon seemed confident of the prognosis, even though I still have PET scans yet to be done, and that I would be able to speak and eat normally after healing. The surgeon estimated 6 weeks of radiation therapy post op. I also should not need a trach. I am lucky I live in Baltimore so close to Hopkins and I have a very proactive and supportive wife. I have a 10 year old son who I worry about, how he will handle all this. So, I'm looking for any info regarding how things will be when I wake up and how long it takes to heal after something like this. I am a professor, and talking is my bread and butter, so I worry. I have already met a few people here and as I said, there are true warriors and angels here. I mean that. Any knowledge or experience to pass on is appreciated.

Not sure