Welcome to OCF, Matt! Im sorry I missed your post from last night. Definitely NOT the way I like to welcome new members. Im happy to read you have spent considerable time reading and learning about OC (oral cancer). You can easily see you have found an excellent resource to help get you thru whatever path you will take to eliminate your cancer. You're correct... this IS scary!!! Most people feel more afraid as its something new, uncharted territory that they know very little about. Dont worry, we will help get you thru this.

From what I understand about glossectomies, any time part of the tongue is removed its called a glossectomy. If you have only a small area removed you may not need a graph. Much of this is up in the air until the doctor actually gets in there and can see how invasive the tumor is. Even with todays technology, an experienced surgeon still depends on what he runs into once he starts the surgery. The smaller the area the doc takes, the easier it is to bounce back. Of course the doctor will pay close attention to get wide margins around the tumor. A second opinion is an excellent idea!!! Just remember surgeons cut and will recommend surgery. But once they cut and its gone there is no putting it back to 100% functionality.

know many OC survivors who are leading great lives after undergoing partial glossectomies with a free flap (graph usually taken from the wrist area to rebuild the tongue). I even know several who have had total glossectomies and live decent full lives. One of OCFs best examples of a patient who had life altering surgery yet she was able to thrive after her recovery. Look from posts by Misskate, Im sure you will find her posts very helpful and encouraging.

Heres the link to our main OCF site. You can also find it by clicking on the words OCF website at the bottom left of any page. On the OCF main site there is page after page of anything and everything to do with OC, treatments, etc. Im certain you will find out alot more info by reading thru that.

Main OCF Site... Understanding section

While you are getting your treatment plan and facility all set up, you should start eating all your favorite foods, desserts too. You do NOT want to go into this with cravings. You could encounter a few weeks where you struggle to eat so dig in and enjoy smile If you would need further treatment of radiation, that will negatively impact your ability to eat. Its only temporary but it can feel like its forever when you are drinking your meals instead of having a steak sizzling right off the grill.

You also will want to visit your dentist for a thorough cleaning and to make sure all your teeth are in good shape going into this. No matter what your treatment plan is you will need this taken care of before you do any treatments.

Hope I havent overwhelmed you with too much info. Hang in there, we're in your corner and will help you as much as we can. Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma