Hi WZ,

My decision for the feeding tube was the aspiration issue. I started by being restricted of thin liquids (water and ect) and was moved to what they call nectar thickness and I was soon aspirating that as well . Then I went to honey thickness and finally to pudding which I could not swallow with out the help of some thinner liquid. So it was determined for me the best alternative was a feeding tube to get the needed nutrition and to eat safely. I hate to say this but for me my voice is pretty well shot. There was considerable damage done to my vocal cords during radiation. I never really had a normal voice since, but I could use it. I was a youth pastor for 5 years following the treatments and you have to be loud to talk over teenagers! smile In April of 2016 I had a trach put in. The speech therapist said that my air pipe through my vocal cords was the size of a coffee straw. Next time you see one pick it up and breath through it. You can get air in but not out, which makes less room for getting more air in. My voice now is very intermittent and often nonexistent. I use a electo-larynix around the house sometimes. At this moment I'm transitioning to real food through my tube and let me tell you...it is so much better for me. I have been on IsoSource 1.5 for a little over 2 years. Almost forgot....no I haven't had a sore throat since radiation and the times when I would choke and strain it during eating.

Hope this helps...great talking with you,
Bryan

15 year survivor of tonsil cancer. In 2002 I was diagnosed with Stage III squamous cell carcinoma. I had a left neck dissection, teeth removed, and 38 radiation treatments. In 2015 I received a feeding tube and in 2016 a trach, both due to radiation side effects. But I'm happy to say that life has been good to me!!