My husband is 10 yrs post treatment. He has had one dental extraction with delayed healing, leading to debridement of a section of mandible (possible early stage ORN which has remained stable for over a year), increasing difficulty swallowing (swallow test performed--cough reflex remain adequate), etc. We are now on to the next complication...He needs surgery for a kidney stone and general anesthesia is being recommended by the urologist. I am concerned about intubation post radiation. He was intubated once for oral surgery, but that was done by an oral cancer team so I was confident in their skill.

Other than consulting with anesthesiologist and alerting everyone to these issues, is there anything else I should consider? I plan to discuss situation with ENT and hematologist/oncologist. Primary care physician has suggested checking into spinal anesthesia.

Anyone have insight or experience with intubation post radiation therapy?

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016