Hello. My name is Sandie and my husband was diagnosed with stage 4A throat cancer in February of 2017. He went through 7 rounds of chemo and 35 rounds of radiation. He had a PET scan in August 2017 and it showed all was clear. He knew this was not the case. He kept saying, “I can still feel it in my throat.” Well he was seen by his ENT and he suggested a needle aspiration of a lymph node that was very large and a concern. It came back as positive and to make matters worse they found that it is in multiple lymph nodes. So off to a special ENT that only works on people with this problem. We saw him and he stated that he has two options. 1st is more chemo, which he stated will not kill the cancer. 2nd is a left neck radical dissection with an carotid artery replacement as they feel the cancer has attached itself to the carotid artery. Of course my husband said he opts for the surgery. Well, everything is moving so fast that we really haven’t had time to think. We have no idea what this surgery entails or what the complications may be. With it being the holiday time the doctor is out of the office right up until the surgery is scheduled for 1/2/18. Can someone, anyone, give me some idea what to expect and how to best help my husband as he goes through this? I truly appreciate any advise.

Wife and caretaker.
Husband diagnosed in Feb 2017 with stage 4A throat cancer.
7 chemo and 35 radiation treatments received.
PET scan showed cleared Aug 2017.
Nov 2017 cancer back in lymph nodes. Multiple effected.
No more chemo now onto radical dissection with carotid artery replacement. Scheduled 1/2/18.