Welcome to OCF! Im glad you have found our group. We can help you with info and support.

Losing your teeth is a big deal. Ive been without teeth due to radiation damage. Its not easy to eat at all!!! Going into the treatment you described for oral cancer (OC) means unfortunately you will have eating difficulties for at least 6 months until you can have your implants. Have your doctors discussed a feeding tube? If not I suggest asking about it. I suggest eating all your favorites now. The last thing you want is to go into this with cravings and not be able to eat what you want. As you will find out, intake is a huge part of getting thru your upcoming treatments (and I can be a nag about it... for your own good smile ).

A couple other pointers. Make sure your doctors order a complete blood count including testosterone and thyroid prior to any treatment. When you tell people about your OC and they offer to help or ask what you need, tell them when the time comes you will let them know. What you will be going thru is not easy and you will need help even if its to drive you to your treatments. Write down their contact info and make a list. Whoever will be helping you during your treatments and recovery needs to be aware of this list and know to call the people on it. I know its not easy thinking about being dependent on others but for almost all of us here, its a necessity.

Best wishes with everything!!! We're here to help and understand everything you are dealing with.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma