Welcome to OCF, Lilly! Our site is made up of oral cancer patients and caregivers. We do not have the years of medical school, clinical care, patient hands-on experience like a doctor has. Unfortunately I dont know why your dentist is so insistent on an oral surgeon??? I suggest you ask your dentist the questions you asked here. The dentist must have reasons why they insist on an oral surgeon, unfortunately no one here would know why your dentist is avoiding ENTs.

An ENT can be several different types. You do NOT want an ENT who mainly treats children with putting tubes in their ears. You should find an ENT who does surgeries and specializes in treating oral cancer patients. Thats who oversees my care and many others here as well.

An oral surgeon could mainly take out wisdom teeth. Or maybe they treat TMJ? Or an oral surgeon often is a step up from a regular dentist. Some oral surgeons will do biopsies, as do most ENTs, or occasionally you will find dentists who do them too.

How long has your "lump" been there? Any spot or sore that is in your mouth for 2-3 weeks (or longer) and if it does not resolve itself within 2-3 weeks then it needs to be checked by a professional. By the word professional, I mean an ENT who specializes in oral cancer patients.

Bottom line is you need to find out exactly what the "lump" is and only thru a biopsy will you know for certain what it is. Many professionals can guess but thats all it is without the biopsy... an educated guess. I suggest not delaying much longer to find out whats going on. Hopefully it is nothing serious and can be easily treated. Please let us know how you make out.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy