Hello, all, my name is Mary DeLongfield and I will tell you of my experience with tongue cancer and ask for advice. About 4 months ago, I had a sore on the front of my tongue. I thought it was a cold sore and put cold sore cream on it for a month. It did not go away, so about 5 to 6 weeks later, I went to my primary care doctor. She sent me to an ENT doctor who took a biopsy & it was squamous cell carcinoma stage one, she arranged for a pet scan and lung xray and all was clear. No cancer in my lymph nodes or anywhere else. On September 6, I had surgery to remove it and a small part of my tongue. Lab results came out good, clear margins. She then told me on the follow up visit all was good, but the type of cancer was found to be an aggressive form so she sent me to another ENT in the medical group.
He wants to do an elective neck dissection, cut the right side of my neck open, remove my lymph nodes, as he said that will stop any recurring cancer from go into my lymph nodes. Plus remove more of my tongue. The side effects are what scare me. Possible vocal cord and lower lip paralysis, problems being able to talk due to the partial tongue removal and paralyzed vocal cords, and I will not be able to lift my right arm. And I could possibly lose complete use of my right arm completely . He said this procedure will give me an 80% of living and if I don't have it, I will not have a good chance of living. I have been advised of getting a second opinion from another ENT and being seen by an oncologist (have not seen one yet). I am going to both of them next month. I am very scared to lose my speech and use of my right arm. I am asking for advice and any information from those who had an elective neck dissection please