My name is Dan, though being a lifelong Diver, most call me DiverDan or DeepSeaDan ( I say call me anything but late for dinner! ). After a bit of clicking about, I found this Foundation, and it looked like an excellent resource, thus here I am. I reside in Ontario, and will likely ask for treatment at St. Margaret's in Toronto.
So...saw an E.N.T. 2 days ago, after having Ultrasound & CAT Scan imaging done. It only took the Doctor about :10 before he announced that I had Cancer. He took a 3-sample biopsy right then, and stated: "If this test comes back negative, I will immediately re-biopsy you, as I'm certain this lesion is cancerous ( says he sees about 1 patient a month with such a presentation ). His high degree of certainty has me leaning away from a second opinion - is that wise?
His pronouncement of my condition has, unsurprisingly, put me on the high-speed emotional roller-coaster. Lots of tears, self-pity, anger, self-recrimination ( I second-guessed my occasional problems with swallowing as being something else, and I trusted Google to send me to an opinion that suggested I wait a month before seeing my Doctor about a lump on my neck ). My best friend is battling Multiple Myeloma, and he was my first call. I am blessed with a strong, loving and caring wife. I have 2 adult children, and I dread talking to them about this more than anything. My Daughter in particular, as we are very close, and she is always worried I will contract cancer as a result of my career in Firefighting.
My test results should be back in about 10-12, very agonizing days ( is this not the single greatest source of stress & anxiety - this waiting?! ). I jumped the gun a bit by signing on here now, but the Doctor's certainty has sold me on my plight.
Like many, I suppose, I look at the immediate future as a time to "prepare for battle." Just righting those words lift's my spirits. I pan to wage total war on this enemy and surrender is not an option. Life is good, I have many people who count on me, and if it's a fight this pesky little virus ( Doctor is 85%-90% certain the tumour is viral in it's origin ) wants, then he/she is gonna get one, and then some!
Happy to entertain any suggestions, ideas etc. from the good folks here - all is very much appreciated.
Happiness & hope to all.

Warm Regards,
DeepSeaDan

Stage 3 HPV-16 Tonsilar Tumour with extension to 1 lymph node
Currently prepping for Treatment, which is starting Sept. 5th 2017