My husband had silent aspiration. He did not have any indication that he's aspirating and so could not cough up anything that went in the wrong way. I hope that's not what your husband has. In John's case, the hospital speech path told me that he could have been aspirating on his saliva' it may be a small amount each time but over time, it would catch up with him.

Bjmpittsburgh' suggestion of sleeping at an angle is a very good idea. Please be very vigilant and make sure you take your husband to the hospital if he ever shows signs of fever, or shakes, or vomiting. They are all signs of pneumonia, as you probably know. Don't wait.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.