Welcome to OCF! Has your mother considered having this taken care of in your area? If that is an option maybe your parents could stay with you during treatment and recovery? That would help you to solve the traveling there issue.

Sounds like her surgery will be a big one. She should have someone with her as much as possible while shes in the hospital especially since she will not be able to talk. Even if its posted on the door in big bold red letters, staff will still walk right by not noticing and expect her to talk to them. Plus she will probably be in quite a bit of pain and should have someone there to help monitor her pain meds.

You're doing the right thing by reading and learning about your moms illness. There are tons of tips here that can be passed along to her. She will need help, so anyone who offers their assistance tell them when the time comes you will contact them for help. Theres a million and one small things that can be done to help make this as easy as possible for your mom.

If your mother needs further treatments of radiation she will need help with someone to drive her back and forth to treatments. I suggest contacting the American Cancer Society and asking about help from their volunteer driver program.

Best wishes!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy