Welcome to OCF, Jennifer! You have found the best site to help you and your husband get thru the upcoming rough spots. We will help you with info and support. We have been where you are and understand how difficult it is when first diagnosed. Your head is spinning not knowing which way to turn. You're doing the right thing by coming here. Learning about the disease will help make you a stronger advocate for your husband.

At this time there isnt much that can be done. Your husband should focus on his intake. He should eat all his favorites, desserts too. If he is on the slim side putting on a few pounds would be a good idea. His sense of taste and ability to eat will likely temporarily change so he sure doesnt want to go into this having cravings. During treatment and recovery this needs to be his primary focus. The better he does with meeting his daily minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water, the easier time he will have of this. Sounds like you have done some reading already so you probably have seen me nag others about this.

Before any treatments start, your husband should have a full blood panel with thyroid and testosterone levels. If his treatment plan includes radiation then getting these numbers prior to starting rads is very important for later. Its easy to do now, getting the baseline numbers after the fact is impossible.

Best wishes with all the appointments.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy