You are doing the right thing keeping your appt at MD Anderson. You might find that it clears some things up for you, if not, you will know that you did not overlook anything.

My husband was diagnosed at a local cancer center. Our medical oncologist encouraged us to obtain a second opinion prior to starting treatment and I'm glad that we followed through. We traveled several hours to Dana-Farber in Boston. After a team review, they assured us that the treatment plan, equipment, and oncologists at our local center were appropriate and we should start treatment locally. Pathology study was redone on slides that we brought -- I also found that very reassuring as I kept wondering if this could all be a mistake!

If you find out that MD Anderson does not agree with initial treatment that was done, or suggests a different plan going forward, it will be difficult, but you need to know. I think you will find that they will provide guidance. Dana-Farber offered to be available to our local MDs if needed, another benefit of the consultation.

I hope that with their help you will get some clarification and be able to make a decision. Waiting for treatment to start is very difficult and so much more so in your case. I wish we could do more...
Lottie

CG to husband, dx @ age 65, nonsmoker/social drinker. Dx 5/08 SCC Stage IV, BOT T1N2aM0. 33 IMRT - completed 9/12/08. Induction Chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere & 5FU), plus concurrent Cisplatin.
1/09 PEG removed; 5/09 neg PET/CT; 5/10 PET/CT NED
Dental extraction & HBOT 2013; ORN 2014; Debridement/Tissue Transfer & HBOT 2016