As far as supplements, make sure to check every thing with your fathers doctor. Some things (even over the counter vitamins) can interfere with his treatments. Your father will likely develop painful mouth sires, manuka honey should help with this. Im sorry but I cant remember whats the best number to get. The higher the number, the better it will work. As treatments continue everything will get progressively more difficult. Rads continues to work even after treatments have ended.

Your fathers sense of taste will change and his ability to swallow may be compromised as he goes thru rads. Try your best to focus on what is within your control to help your father... his intake. I cant stress how vitally important this can be during rads and for his recovery. Every single day he must take in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. This will help to flush the toxicities of chemo out of his body. Losing weight during and after treatment is NOT a good thing! If you can push him to take in 3500 calories daily that should help him avoid weight loss. When losing weight he is also losing muscle which may never return. Here in the US many patients will find its easiest to drink their calories with over the counter products like Boost or Ensure. In other countries, I do not know if these are available or another similar product could be available instead.

Main OCF site -- Treatment/Complications of Treatment

PS... Please click on the tiny flashing envelope next to the my stuff tab. Ive sent you a private message (PM) with an important link. Signatures help us to better help you with your questions. Please review the link and add your signature when you have time. Thank you!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma