Welcome to OCF! Im so very sorry to read about the problems you are having post treatment. It sure isnt easy when a patient has ongoing side effects that impact their daily life.

In your signature (great job by the way!!!) I see you did not have to go thru rads. Without having radiation, you should be able to bounce back from reconstructive surgery. To me it sounds like this could be a very good choice. If the surgery is successful, you can kiss that obturator bye-bye for good. I dont think any surgeon would tell you they are 100% positive the surgery would fix your open sinus cavity. To me, I think this type of intricate surgery is on a case by case basis. Its not an easy decision to make. If you dont try, you will never know if it could have worked or not. By having the surgery, you have nothing to lose if it doesnt work. I would definitely get a few opinions before selecting a surgeon. Maybe this procedure could be done with the davinci robot so its less invasive? Not all hospitals have this but its worth looking into.

Best wishes with your decision! Please keep us updated on what you decide and how you make out.

PS....@ Elainy, an obturator is a removable mouth appliance made to cover a non-healing hole in the roof of a patients mouth.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma