What worries me the most is that every day your husband doesnt take in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water is one more day where his body is not getting what it needs. Each day of doing this means he will begin to feel worse and worse both physically and mentally.

Be prepared for his nurses to start watching him closer. Losing 9 pounds over a couple days time is a huge red flag that they watch for. I had to get weighed every single day when I started going downhill. My nurse made me bring my formula along and we would have our "lunch" together so she could make certain I was really doing feedings. I can only hope your husbands team is as on the ball and pays attention to patients with big weight losses.

The feeding tube is something all patients hate. Its very difficult to mentally handle that you must depend on a plastic tube sticking out of you to get your sustenance. I cant think of any patients who enjoyed having their tube. But its a necessary tool and needs to be used. I hope your husband can quickly turn his lack of eating and drinking around and start hitting the daily minimums.... every single day! I guarantee if he took in 3000 calories and 64 oz of water every day for 3 days he would feel so much better. Ask him just to give it a try, it sure cant hurt.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma