Murphy,

It's been a while for me dealing with this, but when I was initially going through in hospital chemo treatment in 2009, I was already under short term disability, which I believe was 26 weeks, depending on your minimum hours worked, and number of employees they have, all which were met. The hospital social worker who came to visit my room said to file SS then, but I laughed to myself thinking I'd be up and running soon, maybe even during treatment. Well, that didn't work out as i expected, and was out for the long term.

Besides short term disability, my employer met my weekly salary, so I had one less worry about paying my bills being I lived alone. After the short term disability, 6 months, I was still in the hospital, so I had to file long term disability. My employment ended with my employer at that point, being I was out if work for 6 months.

At some point, I don't even know who filed SS for me, maybe the nursing home social worker, but they filed the wrong type. Instead of SSDI, which I qualify for, they filed for SSI and Medicaid, so I was denied that based on my income, which I didn't care about.

When I was back home, 8 months later, I had to file for SSDI as part of the long term disability program, if I was denied, LTD would stop too. Such SS filing was done over the telephone, and forms to fill out by mail. I don't know if any of the doctors were cooperative as SS said they got no responses, and had to see the SS doctor for a physical. He even suggested I go back for long term nursing care. Two months later, I was awarded SSDI, which went back to my first disability date in 2009, about a year before, but with that I had to give back the money I was paid for short term and long term disability from the award money.

I had good health insurance, and continued with that under COBRA being Medicare doesn't kick in until your 29th month from your disability date, but you have to pay the total premium, plus an administrative fee. Luckily at that time, Obama had a 60% reduction with that.

I had a disability lawyer from the long term disability insurer, so there was no charge for that, as I believe they can get up to 30% of the award money.

In essence, you have to be totally disabled for a year or expected to be unable to perform your job for a year or longer or any similar type of work, I believe.

I heard of people who filed in person at their local SS office, and were helped.

I hope this helps.

10/09 T1N2bM0 Tonsil
11/09 Taxo Cisp 5-FU, 6 Months Hosp
01/11 35 IMRT 70Gy 7 Wks
06/11 30 HBO
08/11 RND PNI
06/12 SND PNI LVI
08/12 RND Pec Flap IORT 12 Gy
10/12 25 IMRT 50Gy 6 Wks Taxo Erbitux
10/13 SND
10/13 TBO/Angiograph
10/13 RND Carotid Remove IORT 10Gy PNI