Hello everyone. My name is Bret, and Im a 37 year old male from TN. Im a military/airline pilot, married 15 years with two young children. I have convinced myself (prematurely/unreasonably) that I have oral cancer on the base of my tongue, and I just need a place to vent. Hope thats OK...
I am a social drinker, although occasionally (once a month or so) I may over do it a little. I also am a tobacco user- a pack a week of cigarettes, and 1/3 pack a day of chewing tobacco. SO, if this turns out to be cancer, I know that Ive earned it. I do see my dentist twice a year, where they provide an oral cancer screen. Up until now, Ive always had excellent oral health.
Yesterday I was driving home and noticed the side of my tongue was a little sore as if I had bitten it perhaps. I stuck it out and looked at it in the rearview mirror. I was completely FREAKED out to see a small (<1cm) raised white bump/blister on the left side at the base of my tongue. Maybe slightly larger than a bb. I immediately called my family doctor and, instead of driving home I proceeded to my family practitioners walk-in clinic. The PA who examined me said that he wasnt sure what it was, so he set me up with an appt with an ENT next week.
So here I am on an airline trip, in my hotel for the night, doing the worst possible thing: scouring the internet for answers that arent there.
I havent discussed this yet with my wife, as I dont want to worry her until its necessary.
Im sorry for the long post, but Im frustrated. Frustrated at myself for being so selfish and stupid. Frustrated at having to wait for a diagnosis, and scared for what that diagnosis may reveal.

Thank you for allowing me to post here.

Bret