In 2010, I noticed that I had a sore on my tongue (white leukoplakia with a red part) that wouldn't go away. Not long after I first noticed it, I had it (at least the leukoplakia, maybe the red part too) biopsied in my dentist's office (I was a graduate student at the time), and the pathology report said it was an epithelial hyperkeratosis. In hindsight, although it wasn't diagnosed as cancer, I should have been more diligent about monitoring the sore. Because it didn't seem to be getting larger or more painful, and because I was so busy with graduate studies, I didn't take further action.

Earlier this fall (2016, now done graduate studies and in a postdoctoral position), I noticed that the sore became more painful, and I developed a slight sore throat that never went away. So I first went to an orthodontist, who told me to see an oral surgeon. I had a biopsy done. Several weeks ago, the pathology report said that it is a Stage 1 tongue cancer. So the oral surgeon referred me to a clinic at the UW-Madison. The ENT doctor did not change his diagnosis at the second opinion appointment. The doctor said that someone still has to look at the biopsy to confirm the cancer diagnosis before we go through with the surgery.

My doctor is recommending a partial glossectomy (the lesion is on the left side of the tongue) along with a selective left neck dissection. He says that, because I have no risk factors (have never used tobacco, social drinker with rare binge nights, have never had sex, oral or otherwise so HPV is probably out of the question) and am only 30 years old, he wants to be more aggressive and do the neck dissection. Currently, my physical is scheduled for Jan. 5th, a CT scan will be on Jan 12th, and surgery is scheduled for Jan 19th. I suppose the exact surgery that will be performed is contingent on the findings of the CT scan. He says, if there are no complications, that I could be back at work in a week to a week-and-a-half, but that seems pretty optimistic to me.

My parents are flying to Wisconsin to be with me for the surgery and ~1 week after; I feel very fortunate that they are doing that because I am a single 30 year old male who has very little support system in Wisconsin. I've told my boss, who said he will support me (I have postdoctoral fellowship money/healthcare paying me until May 2018), but am unsure of whether to tell my colleagues. I'm afraid that if I plainly tell my colleagues, that word will spread. The reason that I'm afraid of doing that is that my postdoctoral position is not a permanent job - it is supposed to be career training (I was planning for applying for science jobs in Fall 2017) - and that if employers find out through social networks that I have had cancer that I will not be able to land a permanent job.

I'm also frustrated with myself for not being more diligent when I first noticed the sore in my mouth. But since we can't identify a cause of the cancer, what could have been done?

Anyway, I feel fortunate that this website exists and would love to hear any questions or advice that anyone has.

Last edited by ChristineB; 12-26-2016 06:13 AM. Reason: removed doctors name

tongue lesion left side 2010, biopsy was negative (not at CCC)
12/9/16 tongue SCCA Stg 1 (not at CCC)
12/15/16 2nd opinion (at CCC), no change in diagnosis
1/5/17 physical scheduled
1/12/17 CT scan scheduled
1/19/17 partial left glossectomy and ND scheduled