I have not really posted much since finding out about my issue back in June. Once finding out I was HPV positive and the high curative rate of this type of oral cancer, I almost felt guilty. The treatment was hell as is the recovery, but compared to what some of the members of the board have endured, I felt fortunate. I went to Moffit. My Dr's were confident that they had this. I endured the 35 rads and 6 chemo treatments. It was brutal.
Originally diagnosed as stage 4a, because of an enlarged lymph node on the left side of my neck, the Dr's did not seem as concerned about the tumor as it was rather small. In fact, they considered not using chemo at all, but lymph node had them concerned. So we did the cisplatin
Yesterday, I went for my 3 month pet scan. Dr. and his assistant were both very pleased with the outcome. The lymph node issue had been resolved, and the tumor activity was greatly reduced and I was told it was not uncommon for this to occur. They told me this was very positive but they could not tell me I was cancer free. They scheduled another scan for late February to assess. Obviously I was disappointed about not receiving the all clear. My question is has anyone else being HPV positive had this happen after their first scan? How did it turn out?
I am trying to remain positive, but.... its hard, scary...

SCC left base of tongue... diagnosed as stage 4a due to an enlarged lymph node on left side of neck.
Went to Moffit
35 rads. 6 rounds of cisplatin, food pick - now removed.

Never a real smoker/tobacco user or heavy drinker.