I can definitely sympathize with you regarding your sinus problems. Ive had issues with this too. Please understand, recovery from radiation treatments can last much longer than 2 months. Plus, every patient is different and will recover at their own rate. It takes a patients body up to 2 full years after finishing rads to completely rebuild itself. Radiation does considerable damage to not only the tumors but also the surrounding tissues making everything much slower to heal. Most doctors focus solely on eliminating the cancer, everything else is collateral damage. Many patients find themselves dealing with many unpleasant side effects that appear after finishing treatments which is also when the patient doesnt see their medical team as often.

I had IMRT radiation treatments for 70 grays. My tumors were on the inside of my left cheek and behind my top left molar. Depending on where your tumor was located your sinuses may have taken a bigger hit than other head and neck areas. For me, my sinuses somehow became damaged from the rads making it where its like I have a head cold every single day of the year. I feel the same way as you described. Either Im so congested I cant even breathe or blow my nose or its constantly running like a faucet. Ive also noticed when I eat it seems to cause my sinuses to act up even more. Ive found slight relief with prescription sinutab every morning (one 24 hour dissolvable tablet) and liquid kids benedryl at night. If you do try getting some relief with meds, be careful as anything that drys the sinuses usually also drys your mouth. You may experience some dry mouth after going thru rads. Thats another thing that usually improves very slowly over time. Unfortunately its normally many months before patients notice any major improvements with their saliva.

Im very surprised you are able to tolerate Halls. I had rads over 9 years ago and I still would not be able to have a Halls in my mouth for more than a couple seconds. Its probably because of your tumor location and where the most scatter radiation affected. Your issues should be more sinus related. Hopefully this will make your other side effects like dry mouth and sore throat not as intense. I know its a small consolation with the other sinus problems you are having.

Best wishes with your continued recovery.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma