For me, I was more relieved that the cancer had been removed and was now out of my body. And sheer drive & determination to get out of the hospital and back to my normal life as quickly as possible. Through the window, from my hospital bed I could see out the waterway where my teammates and competitors were training in outrigger canoes and dragonboats, and it just drove me crazy knowing I would be off the water waiting for my forearm flap, the "new" tongue, the skin graft on my thigh & the hole they had punctured in my throat for the trach to heal. laugh

Very early on in the process (long before the surgery itself), I decided that there wasn't much I could do to improve my situation by worrying about it. It was the doctors, nurses, techies and other people fighting along with me that were going to get that garbage out of my body, then zap me with their multimillion dollar ray gun in case any stray little buggers got away. Yeah, it was horrible and terrible. It hurt and it made me extremely uncomfortable. But it happened. I wanted my life back.

Dx 2014Jan29 (42 yr old otherwise fit nonsmoker)
SCC tongue stage III T3N0M0
subtotal glossectomy, partial neck dissection, RFFF, trach, NG tube 2014Feb25 16 days in hospital
RAD 25 zaps 2014May5-2014Jun9
Back to work, paddling & hiking shortly afterwards