Welcome to OCF! You are one very fortunate person!!! Its rare we have someone join who has undergone such a major surgery without having cancer. Please dont underestimate what you have been thru! Im sure it was no picnic.

The surgery you had is a huge one!!! The big difference between you and our other members is most of our other members who went thru this surgery have had cancer and been treated with radiation. I never like to compare patients as there is always something different where the comparison doesnt work. When throwing radiation into this equation, its like night and day. Ive had rads myself prior to having the mandibulectomy. Thats probably why I had major complications with mine. Radiation makes healing more difficult and it takes so much longer.

When I was one year post mandibulectomies, I was finally allowed to have reconstructive surgery. My doc insisted on making me wait for at least one year before any substantial reconstruction could be done. For me my swelling was almost totally gone about 6-8 months post surgery. I would definitely ask your doctor why you still have swelling. Over one year since the surgery without having rads, this is a very long time. The limp is understandable. This could be a permanent thing, in time it will become less noticeable. I havent heard about anyone having any major leg issues besides the limp or problems with their leg not healing. As far as sports go in time Im sure you can do this again. I think a big factor is will power. If the athletes who only have one leg are able run marathons then I bet you could too.

As far as the problems with mouth infections, you could have thrush which can be pretty painful and easily cleared up with nystatin. Ask your doc for a prescription to get peridex mouth rinse. You should use this twice a day, every single day and it should help you to avoid infections. I would also invest in a waterpik and use it on its lowest setting. Check this and any other changes first with your doc. You dont need any other problems happening with your mouth.

I hope the info Ive given you helps. I do not have a medical background but I do have first hand experience as Ive lived thru 2 mandibulectomies and somehow survived to still be here to talk about it smile I also read every single post that comes in and have seen many other patients go thru this operation.

Good luck with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy