Hello Nancy. Hope you had a good consultation with the oncologist. I know what you mean about pity party but heck, it's hard going through tongue cancer and radiation. It's hard to believe how long it takes to heal. Two years after rads I feel pretty normal apart from the damage done by surgery (cut nerve). I also had a swollen parotid gland a little while after treatment. It went down pretty quickly by itself but was a mystery to me.

Yes, it takes a while to heal. I don't know about scars except that I have a lot of them. I think it pays to check with your doctor if you notice any changes that worry you. It's better to over-ask than under-ask.

Best wishes

1996, ovarian cancer surgery + cisplatin and taxol.
September, 2007, SCC of left lateral tongue. Excision.
October, 2009 recurrence in scar tissue, T1NOMO. Free flap surgery from left wrist - neck dissection. 63 year old New Zealander. No chemo, no RT.
February, 2014. New primary in left buccal mucosa. Marginal mandibulectomy, neck dissection, right arm free forearm flap. T1N0M0 but third occurrence and some areas of concern: RT started 8 April and finished 19 May.