I'm a 34 year old male. I have a small (maybe .5 CM) white rough / raised area inside my mouth on my cheek, towards the back of my mouth. It blanches when I press on it. I wouldn't say it's a hard bump - more of a slightly raised area than an actual bump and when looking at it it doesn't appear like a bump rather it feels that way. It is along - slightly above my bite line but to my knowledge I dont bite my cheeks. I first felt it with my tongue, randomly a little over 4 weeks ago. After it didn't go away after two weeks, I called and made an appointment with my dentist to have him look at it and that appointment is early next week. I know there isn't anything else I can do about it now but by that time, it will have been five weeks since I first felt it. Everything I read says when you have a nonhealing sore (even though it isnt actually sore) for more than 2 weeks to get it checked but by the time I made my appointment and was able to get seen over a month will have passed.

There is no pain at all, no soreness, no bleeding and it hasn't gotten any larger or smaller from what I can tell over the last 4 weeks. It's just stayed the same with no noticeable change. Given the length of time it's been so far, it has me slightly worried. Thinking the worst, if it were to be an oral cancer, would this still be considered "catching it early?". It makes me feel somewhat better knowing there is no pain and it doesnt appear to be growing but anxious at the same time because it isn't going away.

Given all of this, is my general dentist the best first option to take a look at this? If he wants it to be biopsied than I assume I'll have to make an appointment with an oral surgeon which means waiting more time for an appointment. I've come to learn from my limited research, how valuable time is when it comes to oral cancer. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Also, can lichen planus show as a small patch rather than white lines? Are there other benign conditions that would appear white and not go away with time?

Thanks so much!