Hi Lewis,

I, too, would like to welcome you to the forum. My husband was given 70 grays of radiation and, at the time, we were told that it was the lifetime maximum. Eventually he received two more radiation treatments -- 20 grays each time over five sessions -- once to zap the swollen nodes in his airway and the second to clear the bacteria in his lungs from recurrent pneumonia. The RO was hesitant about the final radiation treatment as John was using up his "allowance" of radiation. You might be in a similar situation with regards to radiation.

Recurrence is an uncertainty and your doctors are right to want to monitor you closely. It maybe jumping the gun but do ask about the possibility of getting immunotherapy or getting into clinical trials if and when the need arises.

I wish you all the very best moving forward and if possible, please come back and update. The cancer treatment field is moving forward so quickly that it will help all those who are coming after to know what new treatments/options are available.

Do they have a counseling department at Mayo? It may help with your sense of uncertainty if you could go and talk to someone who has worked with cancer patients.

Last edited by gmcraft; 08-04-2016 09:28 AM.

Gloria
She stood in the storm, and when the wind did not blow her way, she adjusted her sails... Elizabeth Edwards

Wife to John,dx 10/2012, BOT, HPV+, T3N2MO, RAD 70 gy,Cisplatinx2 , PEG in Dec 6, 2012, dx dvt in both legs after second chemo session, Apr 03/13 NED, July 2013 met to lungs, Phase 1 immunotherapy trial Jan 18/14 to July/14. Taxol/carboplatin July/14. Esophagus re-opened Oct 14. PEG out April 8, 2015. Phase 2 trial of Selinexor April to July 2015. At peace Jan 15, 2016.