I know its not easy to eat when you have a sore mouth and throat. When everything tastes nothing like it should its even harder. Make certain you are talking honestly with your physician about the difficulties you are encountering. This is especially important when it comes to your ability to eat and drink.

As far as adding extra sugar to your foods, thats up to you but I think its not the best thing to do. Most patients will lose their sense of all taste even sweet and there isnt enough sugar in the grocery store to use that will help make the food taste sweet. Honestly Im surprised you are still able to taste sweet this far into your treatments. If your shakes are grainy, try blending them longer.

One thing I enjoyed that was refreshing and helped to soothe my sore throat was yoo-hoo. It has lots of calories and some vitamins so its not too bad to drink. If you are able to drink your meals until you can eat again then thats ok. Just so you are taking in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water every day then you should be ok.

If you begin to struggle with your water intake ask your doc if you can get extra hydration a few times a week. After a couple bags of IV fluids you will feel better. Its amazing how lousy being dehydrated can make you feel.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma