I am a newbee here. Finished with chemo and radiation in July 2015. On the mend having good days and bad but getting through it. I still have the gtube in place but just had a modified barium swallow test yesterday and did great. Today i had oatmeal for lunch and soup for dinner so I am smiling at how wonderful they tasted after a year of feeding tube only. I lost 50 pounds, and am down to 89 pounds now......good thing I am only 4' 11" !

My biggest problem is i am wracked with kidney stones forming. Yes, I have had A stone twice in years past but now they are overwhelming. In March I had 3 stone surgries in two days, they did put a tube in my back for two days to drain the ones they could break up. One stone was a whopping 23 mm, I really impressed the doctor with that one ! On June 23rd it was back to the hospital for surgery again. This time they broke up what they could but told me I have over 100 stones still in my kidneys, the biggest one now is a mere 12 mm. These stones seem to be a very rare, very hard type that is only seen about 1 per cent of the people with stones. The doctor says he can't even break them completely with the laser. He can only chip away at them. The urologist and the oncologist thought perhaps I was dehydrated so i had many, many hydrations during and after the chemo and radiation. Didn't seem to help.

I have searched and searched this site to see if this problem has come up for anyone else but have not found anything. Finally here is my question ...... could it possibly be from the nutrition I have been on for one year? (Chocolate ensure plus and TwoCal mixed together). Am I getting to much protein or something or not enough of something ? I wanted to try the Whey protein powder to gain some much needed pounds but I am afraid to try it and make matters worse.

I checked my BMI, it is 18 and by the numbers i am not getting way over in protein. I met with the nutritionists at my cancer center twice but they are stumped too. I did beg the urologist to do lab work last week and he finally agreed, the office called today to say everything was within normal limits. Not that I know which tests they did. For some silly reason I have to go to the office and pick up the lab report. Guess they don't have a fax machine ? They have certainly not been helpful with anything. I will be finding a new urologist. I do have an appointment with the ENT doctor tomorrow so will go over this with him.

Has anyone else had mounds of kidney stones form ? I feel like I can live with the extremly dry mouth and all the other stuff but these kidney stone attacks are killing me!

Last edited by ChristineB; 07-13-2016 04:36 AM. Reason: paragraphs to make easier to read

Sept 2002 Rt breast cancer no chemo or radiation.
March 2015 Rt tonsil cancer - walnut size lump rt side neck.
March 2015 Scan, biopsy confirm
March 2015 Port, G tube placed, 10 teeth removed.
July 2015 completed 5 chemo/35 radiations
Sept 2015 Cat Scan all clear
July 2016 G tube, port still in place
Ive had Thyroid "graves disease" and Lupus for many years.
4 kidney stone surgeries past 3 mo with over 100 stones still there !

*** Update... Jo passed away 12/20/17 ... RIP Jo ***