Hi Ward. I just finished treatment yesterday at Moffitt in Tampa. Great facility and everyone there was excellent to work with. I had the same stuff you've got but at the right base of tongue, right lymph node in neck.

The radiation treatment only takes about 10 minutes, then you are free to go about your day, but as the weeks drag on, you'll feel like crap, the radiation is cumulative and your throat is going to get more sore with every treatment. If you like to eat Mexican, Italian, Indian or any other 'Good' food, (and beer) do it NOW! Once your throat/tongue start hurting, you're going to be drinking milkshakes.

I've lost about 20 lbs and I wasn't fat to begin with, but it just hurts so much to swallow, or even chew, about the only 'real food' I'm eating is macaroni and cheese and cheese omelettes. Also buy a lot of water bottles, the dry mouth will keep you up all night. I keep a Yeti cup of ice water next to my bed to sip on all night.

Good luck, I was lucky and didn't have to also do the chemo therapy, just radiation. I hope it works, I guess I'll know in a few months.

diaginosed SCC 4/16
HPV 16 base of tongue
radiation only, no chemo, 30 treatments
last treatment 6/27/16