Welcome to OCF! Im sorry you have a need to use our site.

During rads, it will get progressively more difficult to eat as treatments continue. Best thing I can tell you is focus on what you can control... your intake! Chemo and rads for many patients isnt easy. The hardest thing is to keep your intake high enough. If you can start right away getting used to taking in at least 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water daily then you should adjust in time before it gets really difficult.

Having trouble with taking in enough fluids? Your doc can also write an open prescription for you to get extra hydration in the chemo lab. It will instantly perk you right up when you know you are not meeting your daily water goals. Some patients will make it a habit to go a few times a week.

I know the calories sound excessive and many are concerned about gaining weight. Your body is going thru incredible changes right now and burning up calories much faster than normal trying to fight off the cancer, the treatments all while trying to rebuild itself. This is why its so important to keep your intake at least 2500 calories daily, more is even better and will make the next few weeks/months much easier to get past. This will need to continue until at the very least you hit the first year after finishing rads. Also, its very important to keep swallowing water every single day even if your throat gets really sore. Believe it or not, swallowing muscles can quickly forget how to function.

We are here to lean on and we will help get you thru everything. Try not to compare your situation to others. Ive met so many OC patients and even those who "sail right thru" rads all suffer in some way. Everyone is affected slightly differently just know we all at this site understand exactly where you are coming from.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy