One day at a time is the only way to take this. When things get really bad, just reduce your time frame -- ie all I have to do is get through today. If that's too long, get through the next hour. One hour victory soon becomes two, then three, eventually you get through the day and start over tomorrow.

I hope you are eating like there is no tomorrow while food still tastes edible. Christine has a 4000 calorie cancer shake she recommends. So try to gain weight right now by eating ice cream, desserts, everything fattening you can find.

If you don't there will be days where you lose a whole pound of weight in one day. None of us can afford too many of those days. Over my six weeks of treatment I lost 42 pounds.

Sorry about the coffee; that's one thing I never lost my desire for; though I did lose my desire for just about everything else. I did survive on Ensure for weeks; it was one of the only things that didn't taste terrible.

Tony, 69, non-smoker, aerobatics pilot, bridge player/teacher, avid dancer (ballroom, latin, swing, country)

09/13 SCC, HPV 16, tonsillectomy, T2N0.
11/13 start rads, no chemo
12/13 taste gone, dry mouth,
02/14 hair slowly returning
05/14 taste the same, dry sinuses, irrigation helps.
01/15 food taste about 60% returned, dry sinuses are worse in winter.
12/20 no more sinus problems, taste pretty good