Welcome to OCF. Im so sorry to read of the other battles besides cancer you are having. Being in denial is a common issue with many patients especially when facing recurrences. Oral cancer is a horrible disease that is curable when found and treated. The earlier its found, the easier it is to treat. Delaying treatment only causes it to be more difficult to treat causing more side effects and a much harder road for the patient.

The only way that has been scientifically proven to eliminate oral cancer is thru surgery and radiation with or without chemo. Nothing else will get rid of the cancer no matter how much faith anyone has in their other "options". There isnt a single patient who wanted to go thru cancer treatments but in order to survive we all have done what was necessary. Time also plays a role in this. The longer someone pretends there is nothing wrong the more time the tumor has to grow. As a parent, ignoring the symptoms is putting the childrens futures in jeopardy. Im a single parent and almost chose to do nothing when diagnosed with my third round of cancer within 3 years. But the wonderful members of this forum helped me see the bigger picture. They helped me understand by letting nature take its course and think I could prepare my children better for my death than to try and fighting I was basically quitting before I even tried to beat it. Denial was what it really was, I didnt want to believe I was sick again. I hope your husband will wake up and see the bigger picture of what would happen to the family if he ignores the chance of having cancer again and i runs it course, ultimately taking his life. If he cant do it for himself, the least he could do for the family is to see a doctor and get a biopsy to know if he is sick and needs to get treated. Oral cancer can grow and spread quickly, especially in cases of recurrence. There are also hundreds of scam artists out there who make promises of easier ways to treat cancer with other "natural" (and usually lesser known) remedies. I dont mean to sounds harsh, so please understand I always have the best interests of each and every member in mind when I make my replies. This is a life or death situation and the longer its put off the higher the chances of not getting thru this are. There are many, many patients who sought other avenues to rid themselves of cancer only to realize too late that only conventional treatments like surgery or radiation will do the job.

I wish you and your husband all the very best with everything you are dealing with.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma