George, I'm sorry about what you went thru Sounds very heartbreaking. I have wondered the same thing as the caregiver to my husband. He had a nasty sore on his lower lip. He ignored it for a few months. He went to get it looked at by a plastic surgeon. Diagnosed SCC Insitu. No scans Removed with lip surgery. Told not to worry cancer all gone. 8 months later diagnosed stage 4 throat cancer. I want to know if that throat cancer was there when the Dr ignored my request for a CT scan 8 months earlier. Why didn't we get a second opinion on the lip. I get so mad when I look back. I have looked on the Internet and never can find out how long it takes to develope cancer. Having a hard time moving on. I want to write that Dr. A letter and tell him the protocols should b changed. He was arrogant and quite shocked when I called him and told him about my husbands stage 4 cancer. If you find information please share. I would be really interested.

Husband diagnosed 2/13 lower lip scc in situ 2 surgeries never scanned. 8 months later diagnosed soft palate scc stage 4A, tonsil and nodes involved. Hpv positive. Told by ENT small t1 tumor brought in to surgery for tumor removal and neck disection. Aborded surgery. Stage 4!! Finished rads and chemo Jan 2014. Grade 4 ORN of the maxilla, 30 HBOT , sinus surgery , maxilla surgery, buccal flap 4/2015. Doing good. 9-2015 red patch on soft palate , waiting to see.