My question is about chemo and clinical trials. My mom has endured two hemiglossectomies, radiation, and chemo in the span of 10 months. Sadly, my sweet mom has just found out this morning that her cancer is back for the third time in as many months (I guess it never really left). It's in the area of her tongue and throat that has been removed twice, and she now has an additional spot. This is just in 3 months since her surgery in July with clear margins and nodes.

We are told at this point that surgery is not an option this time because recovery from this surgery was already very complicated. Radiation is not an option for her either, because again, she's still healing from her first go round with radiation. Chemo was difficult for her, too. We have a meeting this week to talk about chemo options to extend life. I know it's not considered curable at this point, but I'm wondering whether anyone with a "recurrence" has had any luck with chemo alone in terms of pain management and control of tumor growth? What chemo regimen?

I am also wondering if someone like my mom-in her early 70s, advanced cancer resistant to treatment, tough but been through the wringer-would be a candidate for any clinical trials. I love her so much and would miss her horribly (as would the rest of her family), but I'm not afraid of her death (I know we all die). I just want her to have some good days ahead, and I'm terrified that may not be in the cards for her. Sorry for the desperate ramblings.

Mom (beautiful soul) 12/4/14 SCC L tongue (neg. biopsy 10/14);
1/8/15 hemiglossectomy/neck dissection: T3N1, extracapsular extnsn, PNI, pseudoglandular/spindle cell, margins not clr;
2/2/15 RT/carbo/taxol;
4/15/15 CT clr;
5/15 neuropathic/trigeminal pain/headaches;
6/15 recurrence flap margins/BOT; cancer encroaching skin
7/23/15 hemiglossectomy; clr margins & nodes
10/22/15 CT: nasopharyngeal tumor, jaw, and necrotic nodes; tumor under chin/corner of mouth
11/5/15 left cancer behind