Hi Pete,

You might want to see if your insurance will cover the special cans of stuff that are designed to use with PEG feedings--what I use is called "Jevity" but I think there are others. The dietician at the hospital where your PEG was put in should know about these and how to order (we ordered through our local medical supply company). These drinks have more fiber than drinks like Ensure and way less sugar. You'll find that more fiber is especially important if you find yourself needing prescription pain meds during the radiation, since they constipate. You'll probably need a letter of medical necessity from your oncologist, saying you can't eat normal food, in order for insurance to cover it, and I think some plans don't cover it at all but I have a fairly average blue cross/blue shield plan and they did cover it.

My thoughts are with you during your treatment. As you can see from my signature below, I also followed the empty both barrels approach although I had an early stage cancer (or was that three barrels I emptied since I had chemo too wink ?) It's a hard fight but lots of us here have been through it and are here to support you if you need it.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"